On iPhone, it was always possible to disable saving of photos and videos from WhatsApp to Camera Roll. However, Android users could only try some workarounds to achieve the same thing. The latest WhatsApp update for Android changes that. Similar to iPhone, Android users too can flip an option named “Media Visibility” to hide WhatsApp photos and videos from Gallery. Sounds useful? Read on to know the steps.
In case you are looking to save some data then you may also consider stopping auto-download of WhatsApp media. Now then, let’s get down to business.
Hide WhatsApp Media From Gallery On Android
After updating the app from Play Store follow the steps below.
1. Open WhatsApp – tap on 3 dots and select Settings.
2. In Settings, tap on Chats.
3. Here, you should find a new section – “Media Visibility”. Under that, uncheck the option for “Show media in gallery“.
From now, the received media from all the Chats will stay in WhatsApp only and won’t show in your phone’s Gallery. The photos & videos received earlier when the setting was enabled will still be there and will only be applied to newly downloaded media.
It is also possible to configure the setting on a chat-to-chat basis.
Set Media Visibility For Individual Chats
The option you set above becomes the default one for all the chats. But there are always exceptions. You might want to show media from certain contacts in your Gallery or vice versa. You can do that as well. Here’s how.
1. Open WhatsApp and select the conversation of the desired contact or group.
2. Tap on the name at the top to go to the Contact/Group Info screen.
3. Here, tap on Media Visibility.
4. Select the desired option and tap on OK to save changes.
Similarly, you can do so for other contacts as well.
We receive all sorts of photos and videos on WhatsApp that don’t deserve to be on our phone’s Gallery to be seen by everyone. To take care of this, you can go ahead and use the latest Media Visibility feature. Don’t forget to share this article to let everyone know about this handy feature.