Instagram didn’t stop with just IGTV this month (June 2018). It has also rolled out group video call in Instagram Direct messages. WhatsApp and Snapchat already had this and now Instagram has joined them in the race. You can video chat with a maximum of four friends at a time. Here are simple steps to video call and group video call on Instagram from Android or iOS.
Please make sure that you are on the latest version of the app. Also, remember that you need to make an Instagram group for a group video call.
How To Video Call On Instagram Direct
1. Open Instagram and go to Instagram Direct messages section by tapping on the paper plane icon (DM) at the top right corner of the screen.
2. Tap on an individual chat or group you want to video chat with.
3. Now, in the group or individual chat, tap on the ‘Video Call‘ icon at the top right corner. It will initiate the call and your friend/friends can receive the call by swiping up.
4. Your group video call on Instagram is up. To minimize the calling screen and keep using Instagram for liking, messaging, commenting or even use other apps, tap on ‘minimize icon‘ at the top left.
5. During the call, you can disable the video or audio from your side by tapping on the video and audio icon at the bottom.
So, this was a very easy way to video chat on Instagram. As I told you, the group video calling can be done with just three or four people and currently only after making a group of those people.
In a way, it is good as you don’t have to search everytime you want to call your best friends once you have made the group. But you can’t add someone when a call is on progress. Maybe Instagram will look into this in future. If you face any problem regarding this feature, feel free to post your query in the comments.