WhatsApp is the go-to place when it comes to sharing photos and videos for almost everyone now. Because of this, the Media section can be filled with a lot of pictures and videos which you don’t want to be there in WhatsApp. But at the same time, you want to keep the backup of all the photos and videos you received on WhatsApp. If this is something you would like to do then you are at the right place. This quick guide will let you know how you can delete media from WhatsApp and not from Gallery on Android.
In case you are looking to do the opposite i.e. hide photos & videos from Gallery but keep them on WhatsApp then follow this tutorial.
Remove Photos & Videos From WhatsApp Without Deleting From Gallery
Update WhatsApp to the latest version and follow the steps below.
1. Open WhatsApp and open the conversation of the contact where you want to delete media.
2. Now, there are multiple methods to delete photo/video in the chat.
- Long press on the photo or video and tap on the Trash icon at the top.
- Tap on the media to view it in full size. After that, tap on 3 dots at the top right and select Delete.
- Tap on the Contact/group name at the top to go to the Info screen. There tap on the desired photo/video in the Media section. When it opens, tap on the 3 dots and select Delete.
3. Using any of the three options above you will get a Delete pop-up box. Here, you will see an option that says – “Delete media from my phone“. Uncheck it and tap on Delete For Me.
The photo or video will be deleted from WhatsApp while you can still find it in your phone’s Gallery. Similarly, you can delete other media.
Do you find this minor option which many users overlook useful? Is this something that you are going to use? Drop a comment down below and let us know.