In this tutorial, we share a simple trick which allows you to hide Instagram direct message seen or read receipt. Instagram has a feature which helps to know whether a message has been read by the recipient or not. If for some reason you don’t want the sender to get the “Seen” when you read their Instagram Direct message then continue reading.
Update: This method is updated with the trick that works with the latest version of Instagram app in 2017.
How to know if your Instagram Direct message is read?
You can easily know if someone has read your direct message on Instagram. If “Seen” appears below the message you sent then that means the recipient has read it, otherwise not.
Also, if there are multiple users in the conversation then an eye symbol will appear with the Instagram username who have viewed your message.
Now, what if as a recipient of a message you do not want the Seen to appear when you read the message? Follow the steps below.
Hide Instagram Direct Message Seen
Similar to hide Seen in Facebook messages, there is no direct setting or option to hide Instagram messages read receipts and you need to follow the below workaround.
1. As soon as you receive the direct message, you will get Instagram push notification. Do not tap on it.
2. Open Instagram app and tap on Instagram Direct icon at top right corner.
3. Instagram Direct conversations will load. Do not open the conversation for which you want to hide the read receipt.
4. Turn Off WiFi or cellular data(disconnect from the Internet completely)
5. Now, select and open the desired conversation to read the messages and at the same time don’t want to alert the sender with Seen receipt. You will be able to view the messages.
6. After that you will have to log out of your Instagram account. Don’t turn On the internet or Wi-Fi yet. You need to log out of your Instagram account without internet connection.
7. To log out, come back to the news feed(Home) screen and tap on the profile icon at the bottom right of the screen.
8. Under your profile, tap on the cog icon(3 dots on Android) at the top right corner and select Log Out.
9. Now, switch on the Wi-Fi on your smartphone and log in to your account on the Instagram app.
Sender won’t get Seen even though you read the message. You can continue to use Instagram Direct with other users and still the user won’t get notified that you have viewed their messages. But do not open the conversation for which you wish to hide your seen. If you do that then the sender of the messages will get the seen receipt. In case they send more messages then follow the same steps above to read their message without letting them know.
Here’s a video where I am explaining the same hack.
We wish you found this trick useful to hide Instagram Direct message seen. Share your thoughts in comments section below.