As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Do you feel that Recycle Bin is unnecessarily occupying space on your desktop? If that is the case then you can get rid of it. But as you might have found out that unlike other applications there is no direct option to delete Recycle bin icon/shortcut. You don’t have to be disappointed as all you need to do is to follow this tutorial and a few more clicks than you actually thought. So, let’s get going.
If you wish to delete files directly without moving them to Recycle bin then you can prevent deleted files from going to Recycle Bin in Windows 7, 8 or 10.
The method to hide Recycle Bin is same for Windows 7 and 8. For Windows 10, the procedure is a bit different. I have mentioned steps for both and you can follow the one depending on the Windows version you are using.
Delete Recycle Bin Icon in Window 7 or 8
1. Right Click anywhere on the desktop and select Personalize from the context menu.
2. In Personalization window, click on Change desktop icons on the left sidebar.
3. Desktop Icon Settings dialog will appear. Under Desktop Icons section, uncheck Recycle bin and click on Ok.
That’s all you need to do. The Recycle Bin won’t be there on your desktop after using the above steps.
You can always unhide the Recycle Bin icon and bring it back to the desktop whenever desired by following the same steps and checking the Recycle Bin in Desktop Icon Settings dialog box.
If you are a Windows 10 user then follow the method below.
Hide Recycle Bin From Desktop in Windows 10
1. Right click on the desktop screen and select Personalize similar to what you do in Windows 7 or 8.
2. Under Personalization, click on Themes on the left sidebar.
3. Now, click on Desktop icon settings under Related Settings.
4. In Desktop Icon Settings dialog box, uncheck Recycle Bin under Desktop icons and click on Ok.
With this, recycle bin will be deleted from the desktop screen.
There is a quicker way than the one’s above but it is aggressive and will hide Recycle bin along with all the icons on the desktop.
Hide All Desktop Icons in Windows 7,8 or 10
1. Right Click on Desktop and select View.
2. In the sub menu, click on Show desktop icons to uncheck it.
Doing this will remove or hide all the icons on your desktop.
So, these were the options you have to delete Recycle bin from the desktop in Windows 7,8 and 10. If you found the article informational then please share it on social media.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.