As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Follow this guide to create or get Facebook App ID and App Secret for Website. If you need App ID and Secret Key to allow a WordPress plugin or any third party app for that matter to access your websites Facebook follow and share counts then continue reading this article.
Yesterday, I installed a plugin on our website and it needed Facebook App ID and Secret Key to obtain Facebook shares and follow count of our website links. Now, on searching the Web I did find solutions but they were outdated. The workflow and the process have changed a bit compared to what those blogs mentioned particularly for websites. I played around for a while and finally got it working.
So, here are the steps you need to follow in order to get Facebook App ID and App Secret for Website.
Get Facebook App ID and App Secret
Along the process, I will also highlight the change in the process.
1. Visit Facebook for developers and log in using your FB credentials.
2. Next, click on Add a New App at the top right corner.
Earlier there used to a window which asked to choose a platform like Android, iOS or Website as shown below. But it doesn’t come now.
3. Give a name to your app which you can remember and identify uniquely. Enter an Email id and choose any category. Click on Create App ID.
4. Enter the Captcha and Click Submit to proceed ahead.
5. With this, you will be taken to your App page where you can easily get App ID and App Secret by clicking on the Dashboard on the left sidebar.
However, if you are looking to get App ID and secret key for a website you are not done here.
If you use the App ID and Secret key now you will get an error something like –
The domain of this URL isn’t included in the app’s domains. To be able to load this URL, add all domains and sub domains of your app to the App Domains field in your app settings.
6. In order to get this working click on Settings on the left sidebar. On scrolling down, you will see Add Platform. Click on it.
7. From the window that appears choose Website. Enter the URL of your website and click Save Changes.
Now, you are good to use this App ID and App Secret to get Facebook follow and share count on your website. From the Dashboard you can get the App ID and click on Show followed by FB password to get the Secret Key.
On using this App and Secret ID you will give access to third party app or plugin/extension to obtain Facebook share count of your website successfully.
We hope that your issues were resolved after reading this article. In the case of any issue let us know in the comments. Do share it with your colleagues if you found it helpful.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.