When WhatsApp launched end-to-end encryption in 2016 they made sure that apart from people communicating, no one can read your messages, not even WhatsApp themselves. It was made possible using security codes that are unique to each chat. The code consists of a QR code and a 60-digit number which is shared by the users in the conversation. Now, this code may change if a contact uninstalls and reinstall WhatsApp or switches phone. This will show a notification in the conversation that says “[Contact] security code changed”. This can be distracting while you’re having an interesting chat. But you can get rid of them as WhatsApp allows you to turn them off. In case you are someone who wants the opposite and get notified of the code change then you can do that as well. Continue reading for learning the steps to enable or disable WhatsApp security notifications.
The method is exactly the same for Android and iPhone. For this tutorial, we have used screenshots from iPhone app.
Enable or Disable WhatsApp Security Notifications
1. Open WhatsApp and tap on Settings tab at the bottom right(iOS). On Android, tap on the 3 dots at the top right corner and select Settings.
2. Under Settings, tap on Account.
3. Now, tap on Security.
4. Here, you will find Show Security Notifications toggle switch. Turn it ON/OFF according to your liking.
Doing this will activate or disable encryption code change notifications in the conversation.
1. Even if the security code changes your chats are still encrypted.
2. Irrespective of what you chose in the setting above you chats are end-to-end encrypted.
Also Read: How to turn off WhatsApp notifications
To conclude, all I want to say is that security code change doesn’t affect the encryption in any way so you can turn off the notifications for the same without any second thoughts for uninterrupted chatting.
What are you going to do? Let us know in the comments.