If you haven’t observed Instagram Suggested users drop-down arrow when you visit someone’s Instagram profile or vice versa then this article will let you know about it. Also, you will get to know how to turn off Instagram Similar Account Suggestions on your profile and at the same time stop your account from being suggested on others profile.
Before starting, let us explain which drop down we’re talking about. Visit your Instagram profile on the app from your friend’s account. Now, notice a downward arrow button to the right of the Follow/Following and message button. The drop-down is shown on your Instagram profile when someone visits it. It shows similar accounts to yours to anyone who visits your profile and taps on the drop-down icon.
Similar Account Suggestions is an Instagram feature that gives you suggestions to follow other similar accounts based on the Instagram profile you followed. It is, of course, useful as it makes sure that you follow users that are relevant to your profile or interests. Moreover, you can get additional followers and reach as it suggests your profile on other users profiles.
However, if you don’t want your account to be suggested on anyone else’s Instagram profile then you can do it. This will also remove account suggestions for other users on your profile. Here’s how.
Turn Off Similar Account Suggestions On Instagram Profile
Note: Before proceeding, please note that, if you turn off a Similar Account Suggestions option on your account then your account will also not appear as a suggestion on others’ Instagram profile.
Similar to blocking access to third apps on Instagram turning off suggested users for the Instagram profile can be done only from the Instagram website on desktop and not from the mobile app.
1. So, visit Instagram from your Windows PC or Mac. Log into your account if you haven’t already.
2. Click on the Profile icon at the top right corner.
3. Under your Profile select Edit Profile.
4. Under the Edit Profile Section at the bottom, you will find Similar Account Suggestions. Uncheck the box next to it.
5. Click on Submit to save the changes in Settings.
With this, the suggested arrow is removed from your Instagram profile.
Now, users can’t get to know similar accounts to yours and your account won’t be suggested on others profile.
How Does Instagram Suggest Similar Accounts?
Have you ever wondered how actually does Instagram Suggest Similar Accounts on your profile? To understand this you will have to understand Instagram’s suggestion algorithm. There are a set of rules which determine similar account suggestions on Instagram. An account will be suggested on your profile as a similar account if:-
- You have liked similar posts or have followed similar accounts on Instagram.
- You have linked your Facebook account on Instagram, then it suggests your Facebook friends as similar suggestions.
- Your Instagram searches are similar.
- Your profile is similar to someone in terms of hashtags.
- you have given your contacts access to Instagram. Then by scanning their database, they suggest your contacts (who have an Instagram account) as a similar account on your profile.
So, these are some rules that Instagram keeps in mind before it suggests similar accounts.
Also Read: What Is Your Instagram User ID?
We hope all your queries about Instagram suggestions are solved with this article. Now you can turn off Instagram similar account suggestions if you don’t want to show similar accounts on your profile to anyone who visits it. Also, you can stop your account from being suggested to others. If you face any trouble then you can let us know in the comments below.