Are you having a large number of followers and getting random irrelevant replies on your Instagram Stories? Or it might be the replies from the users you don’t even follow(only possible in case of public profile)? If these replies are getting the better of you then you might want to turn them off. This is exactly what we are going to share in this tutorial. After going through this article, you will be able to disable message replies on Instagram stories only for the people you don’t follow or for everyone which you have already uploaded or the new ones.
Instagram has just reached 700 million user base and is one of the fastest growing social media platforms. Instagram launched Stories feature in August last year(2016) and it has certainly gained popularity. It has now more users than Snapchat, the app from which Instagram cloned the stories feature. You cannot like or comment on Instagram stories of someone but it is possible to send message replies. The reply to a story is sent privately to the owner of the story in their Direct Message. If you are thrown off by these replies in your DM then here is how you can stop them.
Disable Message Replies on Instagram Stories
1. Open Instagram app and tap on the profile icon at the bottom right to navigate to the profile screen.
2. Select cog icon(Settings) at the top right corner of Profile screen.
3. Next, tap on Story Settings in Account section.
4. Now, in Allow Message Replies section select Off if you wish to turn off replies for everyone or select People You Follow to disable message replies from the people you don’t follow while keeping the replies for others turned on.
After doing this, users won’t get the option to send a message while viewing your story.
For already uploaded stories, the above method will work. Apart from this, you will have more ways to get to this Story Settings screen for an existing story.
Block Replies on an Already Uploaded Instagram Story
1. Open your Instagram story by tapping on your profile picture or by tapping on your story in stories section at the top of the news feed.
2. Under your story, you have two ways to get to the Story Settings.
- Either tap on the 3 dots icon at the bottom right and select Story Settings.
- Or Swipe upwards while you have your story opened and select gear icon(Settings) at the top left corner.
Under the Story Settings screen, follow the step 4 from the above method.
You can always turn on the message replies later from the same Story Settings screen as and when desired.
We recommend you to also go through following handpicked Instagram tutorials.
We hope that you were able to disable replies on Instagram Stories using this guide. If you found this helpful then please share it with your friends to help them too.