Cortana, Microsoft’s own voice assistance, just like Google’s Assistant and Apple’s Siri. Microsoft has made Cortana much more advanced in the new Windows 10. Having voice assistance can be pretty annoying as most of us are not used to it especially on PC. But what if you can disable Cortana and still use the Windows 10 and its full functionality?
Another reason to disable Cortana is that it runs in the background and takes up RAM and even stores your personal data, which in some cases is fine but it monitors your system activities all the time. Disabling Cortana will not only lessen the RAM usage but also let you use the PC without any voice commands. So here we are going to share with you the method to disable Cortana on Windows 10.
Disable Cortana On Windows 10 Easily
Now there are two versions of Windows 10 as of now, the Windows 10 Home and another is Windows 10 Pro. Disabling Cortana is different in both of them. We have mentioned the method for both the versions.
Disable Cortana On Windows 10 Home
Disabling Cortana on Windows 10 Home is really simple and we will do it using Windows Registry Editor, just follow the steps below.
- On the Windows search bar type regedit. Or you can press Windows+R key to open the Run program, type it there and hit OK.
- Now the program will ask for access, allow it by clicking on Yes. After this Registry Editor will open. On the left side panel, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SOFTWARE>Policies>Microsoft >Windows>Windows Search.
- In case there is no Windows Search, then create it. Right click on Windows>New>Key and name the folder as Windows Search.
- Select the created Windows Search folder and on the right side of this panel right click>NEW< and then select DWORD (32-Bit) Value and name it as AllowCortana.
- Double click AllowCortana, give the value 0 and select OK. Now the Cortana will be disabled and won’t trouble you any more.
Note: This method may be reversed once Windows is updated, but you can follow the same steps to disable Cortana again.
Disable Cortana On Windows 10 Pro
Disabling Cortana on Windows 10 Pro is easier as compared to Windows Home. Here it will be done using the Group Policy Editor with just a few clicks. Follow the method below to do so.
- On the Windows search bar type group policy. Or like in the above method open the Run program, type gpedit.msc and click OK.
- Once the left side panel of the Group Policy Editor is opened, go to Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Search. Now after this, you will see on the right panel Allow Cortana, right click at it and select Edit.
- This will open the Cortana editor menu, here mark the round box in front of Disabled. Click on OK and your settings will be saved.
- Now in the Search option where there is Allow Cortana, you will be able to see Disabled. That’s it, Cortana is disabled on your PC.
Also Read: How To Search File Contents In Windows
You will surely be able to disable Cortana from your Windows 10 whether it’s Home or Pro. But that doesn’t mean Cortana is useless, like Amazon’s Alexa and Apple’s Siri it also has some advantages, but as it is very new, it really can be hard or complicated to use, that too on desktops and PC.