Fed up with inappropriate comments from few of your followers or other users? You can always turn off comments on Instagram posts to avoid that but then no one will be able to comment. And where’s the fun when there is no engagement. Isn’t it? To help us with this, Instagram has quietly rolled out a useful setting that allows users to block comments from certain people on Instagram posts.
Comments are fun but more often than not users find it a way to leave spam and disturbing messages. If you are facing something similar then use the steps below to keep specific users from commenting on your photos or videos.
Moreover, we have also mentioned how you can automatically filter comments on your posts based on words or phrases you set if that’s what you want.
Block Comments From Certain People On Instagram
Both public and private accounts can turn off comments for specific users. Here’s how.
For this tutorial, I have used steps and screenshots from the iOS app but it’s almost the same for Android.
Before proceeding, I recommend you to update the Instagram app to the latest version from respective app stores.
- Launch the Instagram app and go to the profile screen by tapping on the profile icon at the bottom right.
- Under profile tap on the cog icon(iOS)/3 dots(Android)
- In Options, come down till you see Comments in the Settings section. Tap on it.
- At the top, there is a new Comment Controls section introduced. Tap on the number shown next to Block Comments From label.
- On the next screen, type in the name of the specific user. The user may or may not follow you but you can still search and block them. Same is the case if you are following them or not.
- Typing the username will bring up that user with a Block button next to it. Tap on it.
That’s all there is to it. Similarly, you can block other desired users from commenting.
When the blocked users comment on your photos or videos the comment will be automatically hidden and will not be visible to anyone but them.
Later if you change your mind you can unblock users from commenting from the same place and use Unblock option.
If you don’t already know then you can even hide comments based on specific words or phrases.
With Instagram having users from all over the world. If you have a Public profile then it is easy to find your account for people sharing the same interest using hashtags. This causes a lot of comments on your Instagram photo/video and as you might know, not all the comments are good. Some can be abusive or offensive. You can always turn off the comments for specific posts. But that would mean no comments or feedback at all. To avoid that, you can turn on Hide Inappropriate Comments option.
Here’s how you can use this feature.
Filter Comments Based On Particular Words Or Phrases
1. Launch the Instagram app and go to your profile screen by tapping on the profile icon.
2. Under your profile, tap on the cog icon(iOS) and 3 dots(Android) at the top right corner.
3. In Options screen, select Comments under Settings section.
4. Now, toggle Hide Offensive Comments switch to On.
5. Next, also enable the Manual Filter and add the keywords or phrases you want to use for filtering comments.
6. Finally, tap on Done to save the changes.
That’s all there is to it! All the comments containing those words or phrases irrespective of the post will be hidden/blocked automatically. You won’t even get a notification for those comments.
Also, it is possible to stop people from commenting on your Instagram live.
Isn’t this a great feature from Instagram? A life saver actually for many as you don’t have to manage comments manually. Poor, abusive, trolling or offensive comments can be taken care of automatically using these settings.
If you found this helpful then please share it on social media to let everyone know about this handy Instagram feature.