How to lock Google Chrome browser with a password
People looks to password protect their drives and folders in system but do left to protect the most important thing that is browser. It happens with a large number of people that they forget to log out of their email accounts, social networking sites and other important accounts which other user should not see. Its very important to lock the browser as other will not be able to access your account and see your browsed sites. In this article I have explained how to lock Google Chrome browser with a password.
How to lock Google Chrome with inbuilt Password Protection
Google Chrome provides inbuilt password protection for its users. With this built-in password protection you will be able to lock your Chrome browser without remembering an extra password as it uses your Google account password.
- Open Google Chrome, type “chrome://flags” in address bar and hit enter.
- Now press ctrl+f key and paste “Enable new profile management system” and press enter.
- Click on the drop down and select Enabled.
- Next, at the bottom you will find “Relaunch Now”, click on it.
- Sign In to your Google account by clicking on a button left to the minimize button.
- Next, click on wrench icon on top right and then click on Settings. In Settings page look for “People” and click on Add person.
- Now check the check box for “Control and view the websites this person visits” and click on Add.
- Click on the account button next to the minimize button. You will see a lock icon, click on lock icon whenever you want to protect your browser. Password for your browser will be same as your Google Account password.
READ ALSO: How to reopen closed window in Google Chrome
How to password protect Google Chrome using Extension
This is the simplest and easiest way for the users to lock their Google Chrome browser with a password for inactivity. Suppose you left your chrome inactive for 5 minutes, so it will automatically gets locked.
- Open Web Store in Google Chrome and type Browser Locker in search box. Or directly go to this link.
- Now add the extension to Chrome by clicking on ADD TO CHROME button. It will ask for confirmation, click on Add.
- Once the extension gets installed, it will directly ask you to set the password for your Chrome browser. If it didn’t prompt for password, then you can set the password using the steps mentioned below “Note” point.
- After setting the password, if you let your browser inactive for a particular time your browser will get locked.
Note: If you want to change the password, you can do that as mentioned in below steps:
- In Chrome browser, click on wrench icon at top right corner. Click on Settings.
- In Settings page, click on Extensions on left side panel, it will list all the installed extensions on Chrome.
- Look for Browser Locker and click on Options. It will take you to a new page where you can set the password. There you can also set the inactive time.
The above two methods will help you out to lock Google Chrome with a password. It’s recommended to use 1st method as there is no need to install extension and no need to remember an extra password for your browser.